Sunday 15 February 2015

Sachertorte

Photo: Wikipedia (duh!)
I love baking, especially when I'm bored in the weekend and Sacher is one of my favourite cakes to make. It's sweet and at the same time very slightly bitter and sour and not too complicated to make. I base my recipe, with slight changes, on one from a Russian website, which I'll translate here for those who don't speak Russian. 




Ingredients:  
250 gr. dark chocolate (I use 75% cocoa)
125 gr. unsalted butter, softened
125 gr. sugar (I use white - regular or caster) 
75 gr. plain flour
4 eggs, whites and yolk separated
2 tbs cocoa powder
1 tbs rum/cognac 
1 pack baking powder (16 gr) 
Apricot jam (I buy a 450-gram jar and it's enough). 

These quantities fit nicely into an 18-cm springform pan and can serve eight people. If you want more or have a bigger pan - adjust the quantities. 

Instructions: 
Melt 125 grams of the dark chocolate using water bath (or, if like me you don't know how to do it - using the microwave at low) and set aside. 

Beat the soft butter together with the sugar until fluffy, then add the melted chocolate and the four yolks and stir. Add the cocoa, rum, baking powder and flour and stir. 

Beat the egg whites to a foam and combine with the chocolate mix. 

Grease the pan and cover the bottom and sides with baking paper. Pour the batter in the form and bake 45-50 minutes at 180 degrees. To make sure it's ready - insert a toothpick in the middle and if it comes out clean - the cake is ready. Leave to cool. 

When the cake has cooled, cut it horizontally through the middle with a long knife or a thread and spread the apricot jam over the bottom layer, then place the top layer. Melt the remaining 125 gr of dark chocolate and spread evenly on the top and sides. Enjoy! 

And here is my, not so fancy, result

No comments:

Post a Comment